Before your snack on your next sugar, sweet, treat you should probably take a second to think twice. Meech, heath and fitness seeker from The Fitness Radar, shares a few things we may not realize about sugar and a few of those things may just save our lives.
- Added sugars (like sucrose and high fructose corn syrup) contain a whole bunch of calories with NO essential nutrients. They are called “empty” calories.
- There are no proteins, essential fats, vitamins or minerals in sugar, just pure energy.
- Excess fructose gets turned into fat, which can lodge in the liver and cause non-alcoholic fatty liver disease.
- Sugar can be incredibly addictive for many people. Same as drugs, sugar causes a release of dopamine in the reward center of the brain.
- When people eat much sugar, it can cause resistance to the hormone insulin, which can contribute to many diseases.
- There is considerable evidence that sugar, due to its harmful effects on metabolism, can contribute to cancer.
- Because of the consequences of sugar on hormones and the brain, sugar dramatically increases the risk of becoming overweight or obese.
Sugar especially processed sugar is no good for us, and it is important for us to take our health, our bodies and what we put into it more seriously. Parents especially if you care about your children. Are we conditioning their bodies to be strong and healthy or are we unknowingly conditioning them for failure and a life of sickness?
We encourage our readers to research the dangers of sugar for yourself and consider moving forward in making a lifestyle change. You owe it to yourself to be more health conscious. Start investing in our health the same way you invest in other aspects of your way of life.